Cattle & sheep
Expert independent advice and services for beef and sheep producers.
Our Livestock Team Consultants combine specialist knowledge and practical experience to provide you with the information and guidance to help you meet the challenges presented by today’s beef and sheep industry.
SAC Consulting is a unique consultancy service. Working closely with local offices, veterinary services and research colleagues; we offer integrated and independent advice.
We can identify on-farm solutions for more profitable and sustainable livestock production systems using knowledge at local and regional level.
How can we help?
- We can offer independent reviews of your beef and sheep production system and give suggestions on ways to improve productivity and profitability
- When it comes to housing your cattle and sheep, we can offer advice on alternative bedding materials and ventilation in sheds
- Maybe you are looking to keep your cattle and sheep outdoors for longer and find out what forage crops could help you to achieve this; we have knowledge and expertise on that too
- We can assist with a financial appraisal of your business to help identify where your greatest costs are and where improvements could be made
- We have knowledge and expertise in the nutrition of cattle and sheep and can do complete rations for various classes of stock or a double check of your current ration to see if improvements are needed
- We can also assist with implementing grassland management systems for your cattle and sheep
Areas of expertise
- cattle and sheep production systems
- technical and financial benchmarking
- grassland management systems and forage crops
- cattle nutrition
- cashflow budget monitor and options appraisal
- cattle and sheep records
- red meat supply chain initiatives and producer groups
Our knowledge and expertise is wide and varied so if you have a particular cattle or sheep problem or query that you are looking for assistance with then don’t hesitate to get in touch with the livestock team for independent and innovative advice.
- Forage First Sheep Systems Handbook, for advice on optimising lamb production from pasture to minimise costs
- A brief Guide to Calving the Cow, a printable graphic with steps and solutions when intervention is necessary
- Outwintering Strategies for Livestock, advice for livestock producers who are looking to out winter stock, the different systems available and how to maximise utilisation of the system
Other livestock services
Cattle health schemes
Supporting vets and farmers to control economically important infectious diseases in cattle.
Sheep & goat health schemes
Supporting vets and farmers to control economically important infectious diseases of sheep and goats.
Find out more about our services
Our consultants in 25 offices across Scotland and northern England turn research into advice and advantage for business and public sector alike.