Beef & sheep research projects
The current projects that we have underway.
A range of studies have either been completed or are underway in the GreenCow facility.
This is a project co-funded by Innovate UK and working in partnership with Gilden Photonics, Keenan, Silent Herdsman (now Afimilk), Harbro and Morrisons.
Role of the rumen microbiome (microbial species and genes) in animal performance.
The ‘Beef Monitor’ project is co-funded by Innovate UK and involves SRUC working in partnership with Innovent Technology, Harbro, Ritchie, Morrisons and Scotbeef.
Leaflets and project information
- Animal Electronic Recording, Transmission and Synthesis (ALERTS)
- Alternative growth paths for finishing cattle
- Beef cattle breeding for healthy meat
- Measuring carcase characteristics on the hoof
- Net feed efficiency in stabiliser cattle
- Poor cattle temperament reduces productivity
- Identifying superior carcases through Visual Image Analysis (VIA) and genomics
- Methane production in Scottish beef cattle and sheep systems
- Stress and its effects on cattle efficiency
- Nvidia and SRUC: Using deep learning to predict bovine tuberculosis