We have world-class facilities for recording feed efficiency at Easter Howgate Beef Research Centre.
Beef cattle feed intake recording
Our feed efficiency facilities include:
- Integrated handling and weighing facilities in the main beef shed
- Forty four HOKO feeders allowing for individual intake measurements of up to 132 animals at a time. This system allows for measurements in grouped pen situations through the use of RFID tags, with the benefit of offering contrasting diets within each pen
- An additional 16 HOKO feeders available through Centre for Innovation Excellence in Livestock (CIEL)
- Multiple silage clamps allowing for differing diets to be offered to cattle all year round
- Feeding wagons allowing for precise diet formulation and nutrition, giving the ability to offer different diets within each pen
Sheep feed intake recording
A new installation at the Easter Howgate Beef and Sheep Research Centre of portable Biocontrol feed and water intake equipment for sheep. The system works with RFID ear tags to record individual animal intakes of forage, concentrates and water in an open pen. Number, timings and duration of each meal per lamb recorded.
SRUC owns 3 modules, each containing:
- 16 forage bins
- 4 water crates with weigh platforms
- 4 concentrate crates
- Space for 140 sheep at any time
- The system works with EID tags to record individual animal intakes of forage, concentrates and water in an open pen.
- Number, timings and duration of each meal per lamb is recorded.
- The system can provide access to different feed types within the same pen and feed allocations can be set on an individual animal basis.
Funded by the Centre for Innovation Excellence in Livestock (CIEL).