Capital Quality Assessment Scheme
The Capital Quality Assessment Scheme (C-QAS) aims to assist veterinary practices in meeting their quality requirements. It is one of the UK’s largest External Quality Assessment (EQA) schemes – serving over 650 veterinary practices – and offers independent peer comparison and proficiency testing for biochemistry, blood gas and haematology analysers.
C-QAS is simple, cost-effective and internet-based. It compares results with analysers of the same make (peer-comparison) and produces user-friendly reports that show at-a-glance performance.
Four programmes are available, with parameters relevant to the companion animal and livestock species:
- Clinical chemistry: albumin, ALP, ALT, amylase, AST, bile acids, bilirubin total, calcium, chloride, cholesterol, CK, creatinine, GDH, GGT, glucose, LDH, lipase, magnesium, phosphate, potassium, sodium, thyroxine, total protein, triglycerides, urea
- Blood gases and electrolytes: calcium, chloride, creatinine, glucose, lactate, pCO2, pH, pO2, potassium, sodium, urea
- Haematology: red cell count, haemoglobin, PCV/haematocrit, MCV, MCH, MCHC, platelets, MPV, PDW, white cell count, neutrophil %, lymphocyte %, monocyte %, eosinophil %, basophil %
- Manual white cell differential counts: neutrophil %, lymphocyte %, monocyte %, eosinophil %, basophil %
How C-QAS works
C-QAS complements your in-practice quality control by assessing your analyser accuracy. We offer a monthly testing EQA programme for biochemistry, endocrinology, blood gas and haematology analysers across all makes of analyser.
Our programmes are flexible to suit your needs. Each month we provide you with aliquots of serum and whole blood, similar to those you test routinely. You can enter the results into your online 'LabPortal' and they are then directly compared to others of the same type of analyser. Within seven days you'll receive a report showing your analyser's performance against those of your peers.
The C-QAS report
For an easy overview, the report will include a summary page indicating your analyser's performance.
You'll see more detailed tables that show your results along with a variety of statistical values that determine your analyser's performance, including consensus value, standard deviation index (SDI, also known as the Z-score), % deviation from the mean, quality metric and running means of these values.
The report also includes Levey-Jennings and % deviation from the mean charts, showing the last 20 results for each analyte. This will allow you to easily identify any trends or bias.
C-QAS provides certificates of participation at the end of each yearly cycle, providing you've submitted more than 50% of results. These certificates may be required for regulatory purposes.
Pricing and registration
C-QAS is a subscription service with an annual fee payable each April. If you join part way through the year you pay the annual rate for the remaining months pro-rata.
- Biochemistry analysers (up to three) at one address: £160/year (excl VAT)
- Haematology analyser at one address: £160/year (excl VAT)
- Biochemistry analysers (up to three) and haematology analyser at one address: £240/year (excl VAT)
Please download the registration form for more information on how to register.
Find out more about our services
Vet & laboratory services
Our leading experts provide support to clients in areas animal disease, diagnosis and surveillance.
Contact vet & laboratory services
Contact our team and benefit from their experience and expertise.
Our consultants in 25 offices across Scotland and northern England turn research into advice and advantage for business and public sector alike.