With a gift in your Will, you can create opportunities for education and research for future generations. 

Leaving a legacy to SRUC can be a powerful way of contributing to the lives of others. At SRUC, you will be supporting sustainable food producers, climate scientists, green tourism entrepreneurs, environmental policy advisors, and more.

What can my gift support?

There are lots of opportunities for legacy gifts, such as providing future financial support for students in the form of bursaries, or supporting our research activities. 

You could also leave SRUC a gift that will help us in providing our students and researchers the best equipment and facilities available. 

Unrestricted support can provide SRUC with the flexibility it needs to react quickly and decisively to our greatest needs and challenges at the time. 

In whichever way you choose to support SRUC, you do so in the knowledge that your gift will make an important difference to tomorrow's leaders of Scotland's natural economy. 

Our key support areas

Leaving a gift in your Will

If you would like to leave SRUC a gift in your Will, there are a number of ways that you can do this. You could bequeath:

  • a share of your estate (a "residual legacy"): this is a gift of either a share, or indeed the whole, of your estate after the payment of any debts, liabilities, and other legacies; or

  • a fixed sum (a "pecuniary legacy"): this is a cash amount which can range from a small donation to a large lump sum. If you opt for this approach, it's important to review your Will periodically to ensure that your gift's value is worth the same in the future; or

  • a specific item (a "specific legacy"): this is a specific asset such as land, buildings, jewellery, artwork, etc, which we could either use for our work or sell and use the proceeds. 
Discuss your legacy with us

Tax benefits

SRUC is a registered charity which means that any gifts to us will pass free of Inheritance Tax. If you leave more than 10% of your entire estate to a registered charity or charities then this can also reduce the rate of Inheritance Tax payable on the chargeable portion of your estate.

How do I make a Will?

We recommend consulting a solicitor to make your Will for you to make sure it fully reflects your wishes and it's never too early to put one in place. If you already have a Will in place and would like to update it, then your solicitor could record the legacy in a Codicil to sit alongside your Will. 

To ensure that funds effectively pass to SRUC, your solicitor should detail our full charity name, charity number, and address as follows:

SRUC, having its registered office at Peter Wilson Building, Kings Buildings, West Mains Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3JG (Scottish Charity Number SCOO3712) 

We would also recommend that your legacy is framed in such a manner to ensure that in the event of us changing our name in the future or merging or otherwise transferring our undertakings to another organisation, then the funds would still be payable to us. 

Contact us for support

Can we help with something else?

If you have a question or would like to make a donation that supports a specific area of our work, please contact us at and one of the team will get back to you. 

Support SRUC

Donations made to SRUC make a genuine difference to our students and the communities we serve. In making a gift to SRUC, you become a key part of our success.

Learn more

Donate to SRUC

Click here to make a donation now.

Donate now

Making a difference

Donations made to SRUC make a genuine difference to our students and the communities we serve. In making a gift to SRUC, you become a key part of our success. Click on the link below to read some real-life stories of the impact giving can have.

Read more