Further education (FE) qualifications at SRUC include: Skills for Work, ABC Level 2, Certificate, Advanced Certificate, NC, NC Introduction, Level 2 Diploma, Level 3 Diploma, SVQ Level 5, City & Guilds Level 2, and College Certificate.

Scottish students

Eligible Scottish resident students do not need to pay for their tuition fees on a further education course.

There are two main funds that provide assistance to full time Further Education students:

  • Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)
  • Further Education Bursary Fund

More information on both of these is below.

You will need to apply for this funding through an online funding application system. If you have sent us your acceptance for a place on a course, you will be sent an email with a link to your online funding application by end of May.

To support your application, you will need to upload evidence. To find out what evidence you will need, you can download the required documents guide.

If your bursary and EMA application is successful, you will need to accept the award and the conditions of the award, laid out in the Bursary Fund and EMA conditions of award document. 


Learn more

Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)

If you are under 18 years old at the start date of your course, then an EMA is available based on your household income. You will also receive help with travel expenses and essential course materials. If your household income is below £24,421 (£26,884 if there is more than one child in full time education) you could receive £30 per week to help with your living costs. You do not need to pay an EMA back. If you turn 18 years old during your course, you will remain on EMA.

Further Education Bursary Fund

The bursary, for students 18 years or older, is made up of tuition fees, protective clothing for your course, maintenance and travel expenses. Bursary rates depend on student age, household income and personal circumstances, which will need to be proven with evidence.

RUK students

Students from England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Channel Islands, or Isle of Man seeking funding for their further education course are advised to contact their local authority who may be able to offer help or advice. 


Learn more

International students

To be eligible to apply for support (tuition fees, student loan, bursary and living costs grants), you must be ordinarily resident in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before the relevant date (the first day of the first academic year of the course). If you fall short of this period, even by one day, you will not be eligible to apply for support under the normal residence conditions.

We will not treat you as being ordinarily resident in Scotland if your main purpose in coming here has been to receive full time education, because you would otherwise be living elsewhere.

Learn more

EU students

EU nationals who have 'settled' or 'pre-settled' status in the UK are eligible to apply for Scottish student tuition fees.

Read more

Non-EU students

Students coming to SRUC to study from outside the UK, EU or EEA will be charged international tuition fee rates.

Read more

Irish nationals

Irish nationals who who are coming to SRUC to study a Further Education course will be charged the RUK-rate.

Read more

Explore more:

Pathways to Study

Explore all the ways you can learn at SRUC. From entry-level to Master's degree and beyond, full or part time study, distance learning, apprenticeships, mature students and courses for schools. We're here to help you and your business thrive.

Pathways to study

Student Life

Explore what life is like at SRUC from before your arrival all the way through to graduation. Find campus and accommodation information, tips, checklists and helpful information on getting started at SRUC, student support services before, during, and after you arrive, term dates and timetables, Moodle, and more.

Student life

Contact Us

Can't find what you're looking for? Get in touch with us anytime!

Get in touch