Together we can beat Strangles!
The Premium Assured Strangles Scheme is a national programme supported by the BHS and is open to all equine yard owners. There is a printable application form at the bottom of this page. It is important that the Scheme is discussed with clients and veterinary surgeons so that everyone works together to follow a simple programme of testing and biosecurity.
There are three levels of scheme membership:
- Gold Accredited status requires annual retesting of all your horses, to give the highest level of assurance of freedom from disease.
- Silver Monitored status requires whole-yard testing at the outset followed by annual declaration of compliance with scheme guidelines
- Bronze Monitored status is the lowest level and requires declaration of freedom from clinical signs of Strangles on the yard for a minimum period of the last 2 years, followed by annual declaration of adherence to scheme guidelines.
Gold Accredited and Silver Monitored Status
- The two higher levels of scheme membership, ‘Gold’ and ‘Silver’ both begin with testing of all horses on the yard, to confirm through testing that all horses on the yard are free from Strangles infection.
- Any horses showing evidence of exposure to Strangles are further tested to check if they are "carriers"
- Carrier horses are isolated and treated to eliminate infection.
- Certificates are awarded to the yard when all horses test negative
- Member yards follow the BHS ‘STEPS’ guidelines, including testing of new admissions to the yard
- In order to maintain Accreditated status, all horses are retested at the end of each year.
- If a yard wishes to move to a Monitored status, annual retesting is not required. Instead, a signed declaration by the yard manager and their veterinary surgeon states that the scheme guidelines have been adhered to, and will continue to be followed in the coming year. Monitored status is awarded based on this declaration.
- Your veterinary surgeon is involved at every stage of sampling, advice and treatment.
New Bronze Monitored Status
- Bronze status is suitable for yards which are considered by their veterinary surgeon to be free of strangles based on history and lack of clinical cases
- A declaration to this effect is signed by the vet and yard owner to gain Bronze status
- Thereafter the same biosecurity plan is followed as in the higher levels of membership, including testing of new admissions to the yard
- Bronze status therefore does not require initial testing of all horses already resident on the yard.
Benefits of the Scheme
"Peace of mind and a good name in livery and stabling" - Donna, Blackberry Stables
"I like the fact the scheme is very easy to comply with, and once a member, there are various options available to suit everyone’s needs and budgets" - Shirley, Scottish National Equestrian Centre
- Enhanced nationally recognised health status for your yard.
- Reduced risk of Strangles outbreak by proactively protecting your yard and your clients' horses.
- Increased biosecurity also helps protect against other equine diseases.
- A yard can join from as little as £50 per year
- Horse/yard owners benefit from a proactive approach with their vet with benefits for overall horse health
- Member yards receive updates about Strangles, testing and equine health
Annual yard membership subscripton - £50.00 ex VAT (invoiced directly to the livery yard - please do not send payment until you receive an invoice from us)
Strangles ELISA (blood test) - £28.00 ex VAT (invoiced through your vet practice who will also include their charge for sampling/interpretation).
Forms and Guidelines
Please contact the PASS Team via the details below about membership. Redwings has a very useful Strangles Hub with plenty of resources for your yard. Why don't you make the pledge on their website and join our scheme!