Identification, investigation and implementation of plant-based parasite control strategies. DFID-BBSRC, (Co-I)
This project is in collaboration with Dr Jos Houdijk (PI), Etana Debela and Adugna Tolera, Hawassa University.
The overall aim of this program of work is to evaluate anti-parasitic efficacy, to identify detrimental side effects, to determine safety margins and to investigate mode of action of Ethiopian and UK plant preparations for preventative helminth- and ecto-parasite control in sheep.
This overall aim will be addressed through five sequential sub-objectives:
- inventory of plants used in ethno-veterinary practices in Ethiopia to combat helminth- and ecto-parasites, and to collect Ethiopian and UK plant preparations
- in vitro screening of plant preparations for their anti-parasitic properties
- in vivo testing of bio-active plant preparations using a mouse model
- in vivo testing of most effective bio-active plant preparations using sheep models
- on-farm demonstrations of most promising approaches