Enzootic Abortion Of Ewes (EAE)
Enzootic Abortion of Ewes (EAE) ranks as one of the most common causes of abortion in sheep in the UK. It is primarily a disease of low ground flocks and disease can spread rapidly in intensively managed systems. Once established, the infection is persistent and difficult to erradicate. EAE is also a human health hazard which can pose a serious threat to pregnant women.
- Financial loss to the industry is estimated to be £15 million per year
- A 5% abortion rate can reduce potential gross margin by 10%
- Each ewe that aborts can represent a reduction in gross margin of £95
Benefits of Joining the Scheme
- Helps minimise the risk of introducing EAE to the flock
- Provides membership of a nationally recognised health scheme
- Gives the opportunity to add value to female breeding stock
- Gives buyers the opportunity to purchase clean replacements
- Allows new entrants the opportunity to establish a clean flock
- Useful in organic systems
Download our EAE testing forms.
Download the PSGHS Price List.