BVDFree England is a voluntary scheme set up to provide a ‘one stop’ platform to display BVD status for herds in England, allowing any farmer buying cattle to independently verify if individual animals have been tested for BVD or if the herd has a status for BVD. SAC Consulting Veterinary Services is an approved lab for BVDFree England which was launched in July 2016. Information about BVD Stamp It Out England Project running alongside BVDFree England
BVDFree welcomes PCHS accredited herds to register for ‘free’ on their database.
- Give PCHS permission to upload your BVD accredited herd status for ‘free’
BVDFree will allow CHeCS Cattle Health Schemes to upload the BVD status of CHeCS accredited herds (PCHS members) on the BVDFree website without being a member of BVDFree. Please complete this form giving us permission to upload your herd status for free. This is open to all herds in the UK not just England.
- JOIN BVDFree England as a full member to display individual animal results at 50p to add each antibody result and 25p to add each virus result. Historic results (back dated a year) can be uploaded onto BVDFree England database. PCHS will invoice you for this fee although this charge is imposed by BVDFree England. Your BVD herd status will also be updated if appropriate. Further details here www.bvdfree.org.uk or email@example.com please contact them direct to join.
Farmers who wish to join BVDFree but who don't want to become members of PCHS
Please use these forms if you would like to take part in BVDFree but are not a member of the Premium Cattle Health Scheme
BVDFree England Submission Instructions
Notice to Vets: if you wish your client’s results to be uploaded to the BVDFree England it is essential that you:
- Ask your client to join BVDFree England Scheme. The Scheme will then contact us to let us know your client is in the Scheme. Where the client is already a member of the Premium Cattle Health Scheme this will allow us to upload the previous year’s BVD results
- Submit samples on BVDFree England paperwork – THIS IS ESSENTIAL FOR NON PCHS MEMBERS
- Always use full UK ear numbers – only results with a full UK number can be uploaded
- At present BVDFree England can only display a herd status for CHeCS accredited-free herds.
- There is a reduced membership fee (50% off current price) for client’s who only test for BVD.
Access our online BVD CPD Course for vets
PCHS Members Database
Please note that results generated from our Diagnostic system CANNOT be uploaded to BVDfree England. Also please note that ScotEID is not connected to the BVD Free database.
BVDFree England is an industry-led scheme designed to eliminate BVD virus from all cattle herds in the country by 2022. It will develop a national database, storing individual and herd test results for scheme members. BVDFree is based on achieving the elimination of BVD through identification and removal of animals persistently infected (PIs) with BVD.
The BVDFree Scheme will be run on a voluntary basis until most of the cattle industry is covered by the Scheme, when a solid case can be presented to the Government for collaboration on the introduction of compulsory measures.
BVDFree England will work in cooperation with the cattle industries in Scotland, Wales, Ireland and Northern Ireland to eradicate BVD from the islands of Great Britain and Ireland.
More info available at www.bvdfree.org.uk including useful FAQs