Guidance for Vets
Keep up to date at our Covid-19 page.
Annual Herd Tests
Submission Forms for annual herd tests will be sent out automatically by the PCHS office with barcoded labels. If your client wishes to test early please contact PCHS.
The Annual Herd test form must be signed by both the owner/manager and veterinary surgeon.
- Please use Red Top Tubes (serum) for all PCHS testing. We can no longer test pooled samples for BVD virus by PCR on heparinised samples.
- Please use milk samples with preservative.
- Please ensure that you use the correct submission form. Incorrect use of submission forms will result in a delay in testing and reporting.
- Important: please provide an extra blood sample / animal if you require non-Health Scheme tests done along with your client's Health Scheme tests.
Premium Cattle Health Scheme Submission Forms (non-routine submissions)
Submission forms are only required for non-routine submissions, i.e. Added Animals or Clinical Screen. For Annual Herd Tests: Submission Forms and Barcoded labels will be sent out automatically. If you wish to test a herd early, please contact your PCHS centre.
PCHS Scheme Rules, Initial Testing Requirements etc.
Information for existing members and those clients wanting to join.
Important News about Clients Using Tag and Test for BVD
We will accept a limited number of test results from a another suitably accredited laboratory to achieve first qualifying pass only. Thereafter all testing MUST be done through our testing system. This is because we have to manually enter all results and ear numbers onto the PCHS database and this takes a considerable amount of time. Another consideration is that we have control over our testing systems and therefore are in a position to interpret the results, advise on correct actions and accredit. We have very limited knowledge of testing systems outwith our control.
- For clients who continue to use another testing lab for BVD tag and test for their own records, we advise that they carry out a check test via PCHS each year (please make sure you blood sample 5 unvaccinated animals between 9-18 months of age in each management group (totalling at least 7 animals ) so that we can enter these results onto the PCHS database
- Please see this page for tag and test companies who use our lab
- Please advise clients to keep BVD ear tissue samples in cool dry place (could store in fridge) and submit for testing in batches of intervals of no more than 2 weeks (DO NOT FREEZE)
Other Health Scheme Forms
Standard Farm Animal Diagnostic Services (non Scheme)