SENIOR DAIRY STOCKPERSON
Based at Crichton Farm, Dumfries
£28,032 - £32,039 per annum (52 hr/wk) REF: CML/FARMS/014/20
SRUC is unique in Scotland and one of the largest organisations of its kind in Europe. Our ambitious and exciting vision is to work at local, national and international levels, leading innovation and sustainable development in agriculture and rural sectors.
SRUC is currently consolidating its Dairy Facility within South West of Scotland and is seeking to appoint an experienced and enthusiastic Senior Dairy Stockperson. This role will be crucial in the delivery, implementation and future direction of the South West Herd Performance, which will shape the future of the SRUC Dairy Facility in the South West of Scotland.
Reporting to the SW Dairy Herds Manager, in this role you will be responsible for the production from the SRUC Acrehead Dairy Herd at Crichton Royal Farm, Dumfries.
This will include the following duties:
• Responsibility for the daily production of Clean High Standard Milk Quality from the Milking Parlour Herd
• Daily Responsibility for the Robotic Milking Facility on this site.
• Daily Responsibility for the Newly created Maternity Facility on this site.
• To assist in the promotion and maintenance of high standards of animal health, well-being, welfare and productivity of the dairy livestock, to meet premium buyer standards.
• To promote industry good working practices and a safe clean working environment.
• To assist in maintaining up to date and accurate dairy livestock records
• Develop professional working relationships with other staff, course teams and the student / trainee groups, and be a positive Advocate for SRUC to others.
• Ensure that the SRUC’s policies on Health, Safety & Welfare are implemented and monitor systems of work in order to achieve a safe working environment
• The post-holders will perform additional duties as directed from time to time by the Farms Management team.
• The successful applicant may be offered Accommodation on site
You should be qualified to HND (minimum) in a related subject combined with a genuine enthusiasm and passion for dairy production and a real desire to drive the unit forward - presenting what the future vision for the unit is. Due to the nature of this role, a full, clean driving licence essential.
Ideally you must have successful experience with dairy livestock and have a real interest and knowledge of dairy cows. This includes Milking, Dry Cow Management, Cubicle Management, and modern livestock husbandry practices. It is imperative that you have worked successfully as part of a team and are also able to work on your own initiative.
Please download and read the following information before proceeding with your application:
Job Particulars Document: Job Particulars Document: Senior Dairy Stockperson
To apply for this role, please click HERE.
Please note that CVs will not be accepted without a completed application form.
SRUC: Leading the way in Agricultural and Rural Research, Education and Consultancy
SRUC is committed to valuing Diversity, advancing Equality and respecting Human Rights throughout the organisation and encouraging applications from disabled people using the “Disability Confident Employer” symbol. SRUC is a member of the Athena SWAN charter.
SRUC. A Charitable company limited by guarantee, SC003712. Registered in Scotland No SC103046