Lantra Awards or NPTC City and Guilds
This ATV training course is designed for those who are required to ride a quad bike or an ATV as part of their regular duties. Suitable for users in a range of industries and working environments such as agriculture, forestry, golf courses, leisure complexes, parks and gardens, outdoor shows and events.
The course can be delivered for either new or experienced operators.
The new operator course is designed for people who have very little or no experience of operating this type of equipment.
Our experienced operator course is aimed at those who are competent in the use of ATV's but do not hold any formal certification.
We can also offer the NPTC City and Guilds Certificate of Competence if this is required.
What is Involved?
• Comply with legal requirements with an emphasis on safe practice.
• Identify the risks associated with using a sit-astride ATV.
• Select and use appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE).
• Understand the main causes of accidents.
• Identify the controls and components.
• Understand the function of all instruments.
• Carry out daily checks as indicated in the operator’s manual.
• Carry out appropriate pre-start checks.
• Identify and report any faults.
• Start up and drive over a variety of terrain and ground conditions.
• Carry out a ‘failed hill’ climb (full course only).
• Carry out a risk assessment and plan the route.
• Operate the sit-astride ATV safely on a variety of slopes and terrain (full course only).
• Identify loading/towing capacities.
• Drive with loads and trailed equipment (full course).
• Load and secure for transport on the road (if appropriate).
• Understand legal and practical requirements for travelling on the public road.
• Identify track profile and weight transfer.
• Load and unload machine from trailer/lorry.
There are no formal entry requirements for this course but candidates who want to attend the experienced operator course must be familiar with the operation of the ATV.
Certification/Award on Completion
Lantra Awards Certificate or NPTC City and Guilds
What you will need to bring
Appropriate PPE, and Passport Photograph. You will also need a quad bike, please speak to the training team at the Campus to discuss bike hire.
These courses can be delivered from most of our Campuses or on Customer premises.
Current Courses are scheduled below:
SRUC Oatridge Campus
18th November 2020
Please contact your local campus to express your interest.
SRUC Oatridge Campus
23 December 2020
Course dates can also be scheduled on request.
For dates at our other venues, please contact the campus to register your interest.
1 or 2 days depending on experience
9am to 4.30pm approximately
On Customer premises;
SRUC Aberdeen Campus;
SRUC Ayr Campus;
SRUC Barony Campus;
SRUC Elmwood Campus;
SRUC Oatridge Campus.
Experienced Operator (1 day): On SRUC Premises £200.00 per person or group prices starting from £640.00 (4 people)
Novice Operator (2 days): On SRUC Premises £300.00 per person or group prices starting from £980.00 (4 people)
Assessment Only (NPTC City and Guilds): From £185.00 per person
Bike Hire: Bike hire can be arranged for a cost of £75.00 per bike.
Course fees include training, assessment and registration fees. Catering and Refreshments will be provided for courses delivered on SRUC premises.
Please note there is no VAT on our training.
Individual Training Accounts will open on Monday 13 January 2020.
This phase of the scheme will accept up to 10,000 new applications.
SDS Individual Training Accounts (ITA)
You may be eligible for part funding to support the cost of this course.
Get up to £200 towards the cost of a training course with an SDS Individual Training Account (ITA).
You could use the money to build the skills you need for a job. Or get some training to take your career to the next level. Whatever you want to do, there is a wide range of ITA approved courses on offer.
And because it's not a loan you don't have to pay it back.
Sounds good? Start searching for an ITA approved course and apply online.
For further information please visit:
How do I book?
To book a place on one of our courses, please complete and return the course booking form to the appropriate campus address or email address shown below. Course fees must be paid in full at the time of booking. Payments can be made over the phone using a debit/credit card, by cheque made payable to SRUC or by Bank Transfer (for bank transfer details please contact your chosen campus).
Cancellations must be made at least 10 working days prior to the course start date otherwise the full course fee is still payable. In the event that SRUC has to cancel a course for any reason your course fees will be refunded in full or your booking transferred to the next available date if this is suitable.
Fiona Lanni (SRUC Ayr/Barony)
Samantha Bain (Oatridge)
Liz Rioch (SRUC Elmwood)