The eight Veterinary Disease Surveillance Centres and the Central Diagnostic Laboratory employ over 20 veterinary surgeons who have the backing of some 100 scientific and support staff.
Our functions include veterinary disease surveillance in support of Scottish Government's Advisory Activity programme, provision of health schemes for the sheep and cattle industries, laboratory support to veterinary practices and farmers, and analysis of feed and environmental samples.
- Diagnostic laboratory services and specialist advice to veterinary surgeons in the farm and companion animal sectors
- National disease surveillance for DEFRA and the Scottish Executive
- Support for statutory control schemes, e.g. Brucellosis, BSE, sheep scab
- Health Schemes - Premium Sheep and Goat Health Schemes, Premium Cattle Health Scheme
- Capital Diagnostics, a commercial companion animal clinical pathology service
- Research and development including trials for the animal health industry
- Education and training including CPD courses and postgraduate research
- Bull and ram testing for breeding soundness
- Information: news and events, disease hot topics, publications, specialist articles
- Testing of soils, plants, silages, animal feeds, organic manures, waters and soil amendments such as sewage sludge, paper mill wastes, composts and horticulture samples.
- Elemental and vitamin analyses on veterinary samples.
Schmallenberg Virus (SBV) Briefing, 20/12/12 - Topical and general questions on the Schmallenberg Virus (SBV).
Our Disease Surveillance Centres (DSCs) are spread out across Scotland. Select your nearest centre for its address, contact details and location map.
We offer flockmasters membership of nationally recognised schemes to screen against Maedi Visna/Caprine Arthritis Encephalitis and Enzootic Abortion.
We seek to identify herds free from certain diseases and to offer a control programme for those herds in which the diseases have been identified.
Veterinary Services Enquiries
Address: SAC Consulting, Veterinary Services, Allan Watt Building, Bush Estate, Penicuik EH26 0QE
Tel: 0131 535 3130
Fax: 0131 535 3131
- Farm Diversification
- Scottish Government VAS Programme
- Rural Business Management
- Veterinary Services
- Environment & Design
- Food and Drink